Enrollment Assistance in American Colleges and Universities

  1. There are so many schools in the U.S. How do I decide which schools to apply to?

A: The answer is long.  Once you complete the Pre-assessment Form, we will set a meeting to go through your options in detail.

  1. When attending a US university, what is the difference between me and the other American students?

A: The only difference is that you are called “International Student” and because you are new on that campus, there is an “Office of International Students” to help you navigate things and issues that are new to you.  Apart of that, everything else remains the same.

  1. What’s the difference between a college and a university in the US?

A: 1. Colleges offer only undergraduate degrees, (i.e. Bachelor degrees) in 4 years.  Some colleges only offer “Associate Degrees” in 2 years.

  1. Universities offer undergraduate degrees (4 years) and graduate degrees as well, up to doctorate degrees.

Notes: a. It is very common for students to start in colleges, and then transfer to universities to complete     their study programs;

b. In general public colleges are cheaper than public universities, but there are exceptions.

  1. Are there age limitations to attend U.S. universities? 

A: In general no! But you must have completed high school and you must be at least 17 years of age.  Also, many people start college in their 50s or older.  From time to time a 12 years old can be admitted at a university.

  1. What is the academic calendar for universities in the United States?

A: The academic year usually runs from August through May with breaks for holidays. Most universities use either the semester system (two terms), the quarter system (students attend three out of four total terms), or the trimester system (three terms).

  1. What is the difference between “Undergraduate” and “Graduate” degrees?

A: Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

  1. What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?

A:  1. Associate: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a bachelor program.

  1. Bachelor: a four or five-year program where students earn credits in a wide variety of courses.
  1. What are the different types of graduate degrees?

A:  1. Masters: two-year degree providing additional specialization.

  1. Doctorate: five to eight-year program certifying the student as a trained research scholar and/or professor.
  1. Is it possible to take a professional degree program without first earning a bachelor’s degree?

A: Yes, but they are highly selective and require a heavy course load across a total of six years of study.

  1. Is it possible to obtain a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree at the same time?

A: In a joint-degree program, students begin a graduate program in their fourth year of college, earning both degrees upon graduation.

  1. What is the length of study for MBA programs in the U.S.?

A: MBA programs typically last one to two years after the bachelor.

  1. Can you work while studying in the United States?

A: With permission of the International Student Office at their university, international student may work on campus up to 20 hours/week their first year and can apply to work off-campus in subsequent years.

  1. What is the difference between online studies and distance studies?

A: Essentially there is no difference.

  1. What is distance education?

A: Distance education occurs when a student and an instructor are in different places. Learning occurs by mail, telephone, internet, or by other means.

  1. Is distance learning available at the graduate level?

A: Yes. To find accredited online distance learning programs, please talk to your advisor

  1. Can I transfer to a U.S. university from a university outside of the United States?

A: Yes, although you may lose some credits and require extra time to complete your degree.

  1. What is the transfer application process?

A: You must fulfill the requirements of a freshman applicant, as well as any supplemental information required by the transfer institution.

  1. What is a community college?

A: Community colleges are typically state-supported and provide the first two years of a four-year undergraduate degree.

  1. Why should I attend community college?

A: Community colleges offer lower costs, easier admission policies, close ties to state schools, and many of the required courses connected to a degree.

  1. How do you transfer from a community college to a four-year university? 

A: The transfer process varies for each school. It is best to target the four-year institution early and determine what is needed to transfer.

  1. What are English language proficiency requirements?

A: U.S. universities require an English language proficiency test before admission to ensure you can read, write, and speak fluently.

  1. I want to study in the United States, but my English proficiency isn’t good enough yet. What can I do?

A: There are a number of programs for English language study in the United States and online, as well as local possibilities.  In fact many universities offer English language classes to those students in need.

  1. Do students have to study a fixed set of subjects or can they individually form their major?

A: It depends: Some degree programs are highly structured. Bachelors’ degrees are very flexible and sometimes allow you to create your own program.

  1. When do you declare a major?

A: You do not declare a major until the end of your second year of school.

  1. What is a liberal arts college?

A: A liberal arts college offers courses in humanities, languages, math, social and natural sciences, and students take 25-50% of their courses in their major.

  1. What are the benefits of a liberal arts education?

A: A liberal arts college offers a smaller setting and teaches critical thinking and communication skills necessary in an ever-changing job market.

  1. What is the credit system in U.S. universities?

A: A credit is a value assigned to each course which reflects the number of hours the class will meet with the professor each week.

  1. What is a GPA?

A: Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student’s academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0.

  1. What is the U.S. grading system?

A: Letter grades indicate a student’s academic performance. Each letter grade has a numeric value which is used to calculate a GPA, on a scale of 4.0 where A=4, B=3, C=2, and D=1.  An F grade is a ‘failure’.

  1. How are grades determined in U.S. universities?

A: Grades are typically determined by quizzes, midterms, final exams, papers, projects, class attendance, and class participation.

  1. What is the difference between state and private universities?

A: State universities are funded by the state and are generally larger and less expensive than private universities.

  1. Is it possible to earn a scholarship once I arrive the USA?

A: International student scholarships are available in a variety of ways.  It requires intensive search to locate them, and most of the time will depend on your grades.

  1. How can an international student find out what academic subjects from their country are acceptable for a U.S. university?

A: Each U.S. University wants to review your subjects courses that have taken so far o determine if you qualify for the program that you apply for.  Universities often ask the student to contact a credential evaluation agency.  Glosol will help you in that process.

  1. How can I apply for vocational training in the United States? 

A: U.S. institutions cannot issue I-20 forms for non-degree study, including vocational training. Community colleges offer technical/vocational study for an associate’s degree.

  1. How will I know all about my classes, my program and how to set my educational goals?

You will be assigned a counselor or an academic advisor always available to assist you as international student.

  1. How much does it cost to attend a US university?

The costs varies depending on your school, your program and also on your living situation. As an international student, you must submit documentation indicating your ability to cover all expenses for at least the first year, which includes tuition, fees, related academic costs, books, living expenses, transportation and miscellaneous expenditures, for yourself and any dependents. Your admission will depend upon your ability to prove that you are able to pay for your first year of schooling. In most universities, the costs increase annually.
During your meeting with Glosol’s staff, you will have the opportunity to learn details on your specific case.


  1. What’s the best general advice for an incoming student?

A: Glosol will help you with most of the issues and questions that you may have here. Then, when you arrive on campus in the US, make sure you attend all International Student Orientation meetings scheduled at your college or university.  That is where you are presented most of the information related to your specific campus.